Friday, May 11, 2007

I Will Not Leave Your Comfortless

The Gospel lesson this weekend is John 14:23-29. In this lesson, Jesus speaks of the Holy Spirit:
"I have said these things to you while I am still with you. But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you . . . ."
Reflecting this lessson, the anthem that our Music Director, Ginger Minneman, has chosen for the Chancel Choir to sing at the offering at the 10:30 a.m. Sunday service is I Will Not Leave You Comfortless. This is one of Six Short Motets for the Greater Festivals of the Church by Everett Titcomb (1884-1968).

Everett Titcomb was director of music at the Boston Church of the Society of St. John the Evanglist for 50 years. His compositions were the outgrowth of a scholarly interest in plainchant and liturgy. First published in 1936, I Will Not Leave You Comfortless pays homage to the masters of Renaissance music with imitative, overlapping voices. At one point, the bass theme is the plainchant from the ninth century Veni Creator Spiritus. The motet is in a minor key that resolves on the last chord, and has been described as being achingly beautiful. It is sung a cappella.

Other music this Sunday:
  • ELW Communion Setting Four (10:30 a.m. service)
  • Prelude: Awake, My Heart with Gladness (Auf, Auf, Mein Herz), Paul Manz
  • Entrance Hymn: Come, We That Love the Lord, ELW 625
  • Hymn of the Day: Day by Day, ELW 790
  • Offertory (8:15 a.m. service): The Savior's Blood and Righteousness, Margaret Vardell Sandresky
  • Hymns during Communion: When Peace Like a River, ELW 785; O Day of Peace, ELW 711
  • Final Hymn: We are Called, ELW 720
  • Postlude: Christ Has Risen, Alleluia (Mfurahini, Haleluya), Keith Lolander (based on a traditional Tanzanian Tune) - piano and tamborine

No comments: